Long after Easter, we have hope – HE IS ALIVE!
“He is not here, for He has risen, as He said.” Matthew 28:6a
“The God of our fathers raised Jesus, whom you killed by hanging Him on a tree. God exalted Him at His right hand as Leader and Savior, to give repentance to Israel and forgiveness of sins. And we are witnesses to these things, and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey Him.” Acts 5:30-32
Peter and the other apostles were bold in declaring the truth of Jesus because they saw Him in the flesh raised from the dead! They went from scared and hopeless and hiding from the Pharisees and Roman officials after Jesus’ crucifixion to boldly preaching in the streets after seeing Him resurrected and ascending to heaven (Acts. !:9-11). What changed?
- Jesus returning from the dead changed everything!
- He conquered death!
- Sin no longer holds weight on those who believe Jesus took the punishment (death) in our place!
- He is still alive, seated at the right hand of the Father!
“A dead Christ, I must do everything for; a living Christ does everything from me.” Andrew Murray
Why should this matter to me today?
- Belief in a risen Savior gives unexplainable hope for the future. No longer does the world and its brokenness have power over those who believe (Colossians 1:13-14).
- It gives life great purpose to know that while God wants to use us, the main story isn’t about us, it is about HIM – His great love for us, so great He came to rescue me – and He wants everyone to know this wonderful news! We have the opportunity to be His ambassadors (2 Corinthians 5:20-21).
- He is creating a perfect home for us with Him for eternity (John 14:3 // Revelation 21:3-4;10-25).
In Ephesians, Paul talks about God adopting us into His family through the sacrifice of Jesus’ death – that we now have an inheritance and are entrusted with the gift of the His Holy Spirit. God richly pours out His mercy and grace and brings us into His family. [See Ephesians 1:3-14; 2:1-22 for Paul’s encouragement and likewise from Peter in 1 Peter 1:3-9; 2:9-10]
May we live in light of the resurrection and Ascension of Christ Jesus far after Easter celebrations end, but rather every day! May we choose the purpose and joy and hope that God gives us through the victory over death by His mighty Son! May we rejoice in His great love for us and the Spirit He blessed us with, for His glory alone! May we preach this good news (the Gospel) to ourselves daily to be resolved to live in light of eternity with Him!
HE IS RISEN, INDEED!